I Want A Free XBox

My quest to get an XBox using nothing but Advertising Revenue

Friday, December 01, 2006

A Change in Policy at Mylot Doesn't Change a Thing

I logged into myLot earlier on today, and saw a message. Basically the message said that they changed the algorithm fo Mylot, so instead of rewarding visitors who post one word answers, it will reward visitors who post long thoughtful posts, promoting discussions. Right? Well. Not really.


You see, I can imagine their algorithm is based around length. I logged into myLot, and saw this discussion. A quick google search returned this site, with the same text. Seems to me that people are now resorting to copy and pasting text from a variety of sources off the internet.


Paying people for their opinions in this is very difficult to get right. I don't know exactly why myLot are doing it, as I cannot see any benefit for them (unless they get a lot of google ad clicks through their site). The whole process of algorithmically rewarding visitors to the site just seems a little flawed.


I'll be honest, I'm not very entrepreneural, in that I'm lazy in the persuit for cold, hard, cash. Luckily my interests in marketing and weblogging kind of hide the fact that - if I'm not interested - I don't make the effort. Mylot just seems like too much hard work to be honest.


Advertisment

For 25 years the WSPA has been fighting the cause of animal cruelty in 140 countries. They have recently launched a selection of cosmetics that are not only animal friendly, but 5% of net sales will directly go towards the prevention of animal cruelty. You can also make a donation. Christmas shop with a clear consience. Support WSPA and help us stamp out cruel practices like Bear Farming.

Technorati Tags:, , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

2 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great detective work, but it looks like myLot found the same thing and already deleted it. Because when I follow the link, I don't see anything.

I agree that there are still some scammers floating around myLot, but as someone who spends a ton of time on the site everyday, I can say for a fact that the difference between the old myLot and the new myLot is night and day.

Now when you go to the home page you see actual discussions that are worth reading. These discussions were always there before, but they were buried amongst all the crap.

Much of that crap is gone now, and the crap that is there is hidden by a lot of meaningful talk. Who knows if it will stay that way, but I'm optimistic.

Just my 2 cents :)

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough work

 

Post a Comment

<< Home